10 Things About Me
There's been a party going around Instagram that involves people sharing 20 things about themselves. I'm all in, because I think that sharing the voice behind The Cozy Keep creates connection and humanity in the account. I also wanted to share some pictures for some of those 20 things, so I'm going all in on a blog post.
So here goes. If you want to know 20 random things about me - Alli - then dive right in and see my first 10! Next week, I'll share the rest.
1. I'm bilingual. English is my native language, and I acquired Spanish through school and study abroad trips. I am currently in my 5th year of teaching high school Spanish.
2. I'm the loudest and proudest member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2012. Whoop!
3. I love to sing, play guitar, and write music. I enjoy the process of creating lyrics, but I need to improve on creating melodies.
4. Speaking of singing, I once competed in Aggieland Idol when I was in college and was rewarded a spot to sing the National Anthem for the Big 12 opener for the Texas A&M baseball team. This was before we transitioned into the great SEC.
5. I've traveled to Nicaragua, Haiti and Russia. I really, really want to hit up Australia.
6. My favorite book is To Kill A Mockingbird. I refuse to read Go Set a Watchman; I don't want to ruin my experience. Also, I'm determined to use Scout as a future kid's name, even if I have to settle for the middle name.
7. I played soccer growing up, for about 13 years, and I sure do miss it these days.
8. I joined an adult coed soccer team a few years back to pick it back up for fun, but I tore my ACL halfway through the season. I've experienced a slow recovery post surgery, and I have yet to participate in any sport since then.
9. I created a goal to read 12 books this year. This is the first reading goal I've ever created. I decided to stop letting the stresses of work keep me from reading. I've been inspired to read because my favorite speakers and leaders always cite and quote incredible books. I figured if the qualities I value in them are due to their discipline of reading, then it should be a hobby that I consider for myself.
10. My jaw is screwed together with 6 screws. When I was a freshman in high school, I underwent a major jaw surgery to fix my underbite and a variety of other issues. The whole process involved 2 straight weeks of a liquid diet, and then slowly progressing to soft foods over the next 4 weeks. My whole face was swollen, and eventually I looked different. Parts of my face were numb for over half a year. I was a FRESHMAN. I still have no idea how I survived. God bless good friends.
Okay, let's stop there for today! You'll see the next 10 next week! Have an awesome weekend!